Club Tropicana (Wolverhampton Grand - 02.05.19)


Buy tickets for show here (external link)

Ah Club Tropicana. Drinks are free (but only the first one). I bought the tickets on a whim last year, purely based on the fact that it was named after a Wham! song and there were going to be a plethora of 80s classics permeating the show. Plus it was on the night before my (cough cough)th birthday and I thought, well what a lovely way to gently thrust me into another year! And it really was - what is not to love about this hilarious, uplifting musical? Banging tunes, theatre royalty (hello Neil McDermott), pop magnificence (Amelle Berrebah and Joe McElderry) and a sense of fun which ripples through the audience with contagious glee. It is raucous, unapologetic, sassy and unbelievably sweet. I was smitten with every person on that stage - here are just ten reasons why should rush to see this euphoric treasure...
  • 1. I do love a man in a suit so when three cheeky chaps dash onto the stage during the opening moments of the show, giving wedding finery realness, well it was quite the treat. Don't worry fans of less dapper apparel. They get their kit off later...
  • 2. Ah Joe McElderry. The X-Factor alumni is in his element sashaying round the stage as the show (and the audience)'s holiday rep. He just sparkles like a glitter ball every time you see him. Let us not forget that voice either - he can still belt out a canny tune or two.
  • 3. The story of Amelle Berrabah and Neil McDermott's characters may be a tale as old as time but it is done with irrepressible charm that you can't help but root for them (even when the evil brilliance of Emily Tierny's Christine gets in the way). Oh, and their version of Only You was hands clasped together, wide eyed joy.
  • 4. Let's hear it for the boys - Cellen Chugg Jones, Rory Phelan and Kane Verrall are definitely lads abroad but there is a beating heart under those well oiled chest pecs which make them all super likeable. When they sing a medley of Oops Upside YourHead, Too Shy and Physical it is like the emerging of the best new boy band you didn't know you needed in your life.
  • 5. Equally as delectable are the trio of Karina Hind, Rebecca Mendoza and Tara Verloop. At one point they mention they are just like Bananarama - and their blend of heartache, man-thirst and wanting to have a good time makes them worthy successors to this crown. The individual and joint interaction of these two groups is the central thread of the show and the six actors light up the stage, moving from wit to bawdy comedy to outright heart-string tugging emotion without skipping a beat (but certainly busting a move).
  • 6. Look up REVELATION in the dictionary. Go on. I'll wait. Ok, done? You saw a picture of Kate Robbins didn't you? Her portrayal of Consuela (and Consuela as many other famous folk) was absolutely hilarious. She had the audience in the palm of her hand and you couldn't help but give a hearty chuckle every time she shimmied awkwardly onto the stage.
  • 7. There's theatre royalty in this show - and as a bit of a show-going geek, I'd loved seeing names I knew dotted through the programme. I've seen many shows by Nick Winston, one of my favourite people in theatre land. Lovely to see Samuel Holmes directing (who I've seen in Shrek and The Wedding Singer). And how could I fail to recognise the fabulous curly locks of Alexanda O'Reilly from Eugenius or the sizzling dancing of Nye Rees (Mamma Mia)? I love a good ensemble...
  • 8. And talking of an ensemble, they were all magnificent. Them folks can dance, jive, boogie and get down on it with the very best of them. Alongside the main cast they bought that stage alive so majestically that we were all just basking in their reflective glory. I'd hug each and every one of them if I could (respecting personal boundaries obviously :D)
  • 9. No doubt that the songs are buoyant and energetic, but the choreography is a marvel too. The way the moves accentuated the story being told really enhanced the nature of this feel-good romp. The choreography of the audience trying to replicate those dance moves? Not quite as impressive but it certainly was jolly good fun to try...
  • 10. Anyone else ready for Joe McElderry - The Electrifying 80s tour? If he wants Cellen, Rory and Kane as his opening act, I'm more than OK with that. Until that happens, tell everyone you've ever met about this show and gather them all together to go see it. You won't be disappointed.
  • BONUS - the faces of the entire cast when the girl on the front row threw up during the encore performance was brilliant. You can't prepare for those moments and the mix of disbelief, bewilderment and amusement connected these stellar performers to the audience one final time :)



No comments:

Post a Comment